Loren & Felicia

Loren & Felicia

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Early Thoughts

Sometimes you just have to not fight it, get up, say your piece and get back to sleep….

The words of a song keep going through my head…
“Humble thyself in the sight of the Lord
Humble thyself in the sight of the Lord 
And He
Will lift 
You up
Higher and higher
And He
Will lift
You up.”

This is the answer when I think about an encounter I had at ST B’s M/SICU earlier this evening. I watched an ICU nurse carefully and tenderly touch someone’s hand as they spoke to check with the patient if it was OK for me to say “Hello”. I recall how the nurse at the desk explained how to come onto the ward next time and how she went to check with the patient’s nurse if it was OK.I saw calm interactions between other patients and their nurses and there was an atmosphere of peace….a serious peace - but not without some smiles and a little bit of laughter. There is independent care and team work on that ward. It is work with dignity. Dignity for the patients and for the nurses.

Most, (not all) of my encounters with hospital nursing have made me feel like running away from ever being at a hospital. Systems, hours, lack of independent thinking…..that sort of thing.

My heart is north. Northern nursing is unique and the community I was in is also unique. But this ward…..I learned something.

Yes it is way too early in the morning. Pain woke me. At least I had a nap last afternoon. And now I can sleep.

It is well with my soul.

-felicia

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share a story about your friendship with Loren or the family, send a message or encouragement, send a prayer.